For those of you who do not know, MyFitnessPal is a free calorie, water, and exercise tracking app and website. MyFitnessPal gives you three basic options, to lose weight, to gain weight, or to maintain weight, and it gives you all the tools and tips necessary to reach your goal weight. I have been using MyFitnessPal for a few months, and I am loving the results.
I eat a 1200 calorie diet every day, with the exception of one cheat day a week. Now, it may seem like 1200 calories is too little or that by the end of the day you are starving, but that is not the case at all. One of my favorite things to do is to look up food boards on Pinterest that are pertaining my 1200 calorie restriction, and there are SOO many. I get a lot of my meal ideas from Pinterest because they are so incredibly clever AND delicious.
This is what the app looks like on an iPhone:
Here are a few recipes from Pinterest that I LOVE to make:
Not every recipe is completley healthy and fits your calorie restriction, but there is no reason why you cannot alter them slightly!Below is a list of common food replacements to make your meals healthier!
Another really fun aspect of MyFitnessPal is that you can count how many calories are in the food that you make! All you have to do is list the ingredients and how many servings there are and within seconds, you have the calories for one serving.
Some Tips and Tricks:
- Eating healthier is always easier when you have a buddy that is doing it with you. Whether that person be a family member, friend, or coworker having someone to support and push you will decrease the chances of you breaking your diet!
- Add reminders on your phone to drink more water. It works, trust me!
- Record all of your food in the beginning of the day. This way you are not stressed about going over your calorie limit and you can eat without guilt or worry.
- EXERCISE!!!!! Adding even just 30 minutes of exercise everyday to your daily routine will not only help you lose more body fat, but reduce your risk of heart disease (and other diseases) drastically!
- Realize your limits. Make sure to understand that losing too much weight is not good for you. Know what your weight should be for you by using this website. However, the BMI chart has been found to not be completely accurate, so use it as a range. Make sure to check with your doctor about what weight is right for you and your lifestyle.
- Have a cheat day!! Cheat days help prevent daily binging and still allow you to go over your caloric limit, so it really is a win-win situation.
I definitely recommend MyFitnessPal for those who want to become healthier and more fit. It really makes you realize how much food you are consuming and makes you take a step back and make better choices, regarding food.
P.S. Before doing any diet you should know what your body needs and maybe even consult with your doctor 🙂